PWC is committed to supplying safe water that meets or surpasses state and federal standards and achieves the highest standards of customer satisfaction. Drawing water from two independent water sources, the Cape Fear River and Glenville Lake, PWC’s two water treatment facilities, P.O. Hoffer and Glenville Lake, have a combined treatment capacity of 58 million gallons a day (MGD), with an average demand of 24.908 MGD in FY2016. PWC’s all-time peak demand of 42.25 MGD has held since 1999. The peak consumption for FY2016 was 35.132 MGD on June 29, 2016.
PWC provides water services to over 225,000 customers both inside and outside city residential, commercial and industrial customer classes, as well as City and PWC facilities. This includes the 1998 merger with the Town of Hope Mills. The PWC also provides wholesale water service on a contract basis to Spring Lake, Stedman and Hoke County. In 2010, the PWC, along with Harnett County Public Utilities Department, began supplying Fort Bragg through a 40-year contract with the Department of Defense.
During FY2016, 10.097 billion gallons of drinking water were treated. After treatment, water is delivered to customers through an extensive distribution system consisting of over 1,360 miles of underground piping. Current projections indicate the population served by PWC will exceed 300,000 by year 2030 with a total system demand approaching 48 MGD.
PWC has utilized chloramination as its disinfection method since 2003 and since 2008, implemented year round outdoor watering schedules to support water conservation efforts and better manage its system peak.
PWC earned the distinction as the first utility in North Carolina to be recognized with the Partnership for Safe Drinking Water’s Director’s Award for outstanding commitment to quality drinking water treatment. Every year since receiving the award in 2000, PWC has continued to maintain the award’s high standards. In 2016, PWC was recognized for meeting the standards for 15 consecutive years. In FY2016, both PWC water treatment facilities met all 1,304 drinking water compliance points. PWC is a charter member of the Partnership for Safe Water Distribution System Optimization program. The Partnership for Safe Water Distribution System Optimization program focuses on the operation and maintenance of our distribution system.
Fayetteville Drinking Water History
The first water service in Fayetteville was installed before the Civil War and the source of water was Fountainhead Spring. Water traveled by gravity through hollow logs to the heart of the city. Some of the logs that have been excavated in recent years are still in good condition, although unused for many years.
The first organized effort to supply water to Fayetteville was by the Robinson Family, probably in the 1890’s, when Glenville Lake was formed. At that time it was known as Robinson’s Pond. This system was taken over by a Mr. Richardson, from New York, who later sold it to the McNeill’s. In 1903, the McNeill’s sold the system to the City of Fayetteville.
The first water filtration plant was installed by PWC on Glenville Lake in 1912. The contractor agreed to complete the plant for the sum of $18,000. The first building stands on the opposite side of the lake from the present Glenville Lake Plant. The original capacity of this plant was 1,000,000 gallons of treated water per day (MGD).
The present plant on Glenville Lake was built in 1942 with a capacity of 3 MGD. Fayetteville’s population at that time was 18,000 people. The plant was expanded in 1949 to 5 MGD; in 1954 to 8 MGD; in 1961 to 12 MGD; and in 1994 to its ultimate capacity of 18 MGD.
Contracts were awarded in July 1967 for construction of a second water purification plant, located on the Cape Fear River. This new plant was designed so that it can be expanded in increments to an ultimate treatment capacity of 96 MGD. Named in honor of P.O. Hoffer, a former chairman of PWC, the Hoffer Plant initially treated 8 MGD. In 1975, an 8 MGD expansion brought the treatment capacity to 16 MGD, a 16 MGD expansion was completed in May 1988 that gave the P.O. Hoffer Plant a treatment capacity of 32 MGD. In 2005, PWC received approval from the State of North Carolina to increase Hoffer’s maximum capacity to 39.5 MGD. PWC began the first phase of a 3-phase expansion of the P.O. Hoffer facility in 2014. The three-phase project will address aging infrastructure needs by replacing some existing equipment and then expand the plant by 16 MGD (48.0 MGD maximum capacity).
Through the foresight of Fayetteville’s forefathers, the citizens of Fayetteville have, in their PWC, a significant community asset with a proud history. PWC has kept abreast, through the years, with demands for a water utility to serve the rapidly growing city and the surrounding urbanized areas.