Weathering Power Outages in Cold Weather
- Live wires can be deadly. Stay away from downed power lines. Call 1-877-OUR PWC1 (1-877-687-7921) to report downed or dangling power lines, poles or other damaged equipment.
- Don’t trim trees or remove debris on or near downed power lines. Only power company crews or their contractors should remove trees or limbs touching power lines.
- Keep away from the immediate areas where crews are working. There is always the danger of moving equipment and the possibility of construction materials or limbs or overhead wires falling to the ground.
- If you plan on using a generator for temporary power, get a licensed electrician and disconnect from the utility electric system before hooking up to your home main electric panel.
- Do not run a generator in a confined space without adequate ventilation. Generator Safety Tips
- Don’t use candles or other flammable devices to warm your home.
- Try to stay off the roads. More traffic in bad weather leads to more accidents, including more injuries and fatalities as well as accidents that can damage electrical poles and other equipment, creating outages and impeding crews’ ability to access and repair damage and slowing restoration.