10 Reasons to Love Engineering
Engineers Week is Feb. 18-24, 2024, and we think it’s the perfect time to share 10 reasons to love engineering:
- Love your work and live your life too! Engineering is an exciting profession, but one of its greatest advantages is that it will leave you time for all the other things in your life that you love!
- Be creative. Engineering is a great outlet for the imagination—the perfect field for independent thinkers.
- Work with great people. Engineering takes teamwork, and you’ll work with all kinds of people inside and outside the field. Whether they’re designers or architects, doctors or entrepreneurs, you’ll be surrounded by smart, inspiring people.
- Solve problems, and design things that matter. Come up with solutions no one else has thought of. Make your mark on the world.
- Never be bored. Creative problem-solving will take you into uncharted territory, and your colleagues’ ideas will expose you to different ways of thinking. Be prepared to be fascinated and to have your talents stretched in ways you never expected.
- Earn a big salary. Engineers not only earn lots of respect, but they’re highly paid. Even the starting salary for an entrylevel job is impressive!
- Enjoy job flexibility. An engineering degree offers you lots of freedom in finding your dream job. It can be a launching pad for jobs in business, design, medicine, law, and government. An engineering degree reflects a welleducated individual who has been taught ways of analyzing and solving problems that can lead to success in all kinds of fields.
- Travel. Field work is a big part of engineering. You may end up designing a skyscraper in London or developing safe drinking-water systems in Asia. Or you may stay closer to home, working with a nearby high-tech company or a hospital.
- Make a difference. Everywhere you look you’ll see examples of engineering having a positive effect on everyday life. Cars are safer, sound systems deliver better acoustics, medical tests are more accurate, and computers and cell phones are a lot more fun! You’ll be giving back to your community.
- Change the world. Imagine life without pollution controls to preserve the environment, life-saving medical equipment, or low-cost building materials for fighting global poverty. All this takes engineering. In very real and concrete ways, engineers save lives, prevent disease, reduce poverty, and protect our planet.
Learn more about careers in engineering at DiscoverE.org