Electrical Safety Tips: Campus/Dorm Room
- Use extension cords temporarily and unplug them when not in use.
- Consider purchasing power strips with an over-current protector.
- Use light bulbs with the correct wattage for lamps.
- Never tack or nail an electrical cord to any surface.
- Never run cords across traffic paths, under rugs or furniture.
- Keep all electrical appliances and cords safely away from bedding, curtains, and other flammable material.
- Discard or repair damaged electronics.
- If your lights flicker, electronics shut off, or circuits trip—notify campus staff ASAP.
- Use only laboratory certified appliances and electronics.
- Watch out for overheated outlets.
- Know what to do if there is a fire, including escape and meeting plans.
Source: College Campus and Dorm Electrical Safety – Electrical Safety Foundation International (esfi.org)