NC Green Power
PWC offers its customers the opportunity to participate in a voluntary environmental program called NC GreenPower.
Through this program, customers can purchase blocks of green power – cleaner energy generated through renewable energy resources such as wind, solar and organic matter. A customer’s tax-deductible contribution adds that much more green power to the power supply resulting in a healthier environment.
For each $4 monthly investment made to NC GreenPower, 100 kilowatt hours (kWh) of green power will be added to the power grid. Over the course of a year, that monthly $4 donation will offset 12,000 lbs. of greenhouse gases – that’s the approximate emissions of the average car traveling 15,000 miles! And it’s the environmental equivalent of planting 923 trees!
Enroll in NC GreenPower by calling PWC at (910) 483-1382.
What is NC GreenPower?
Formed in 2003, NC GreenPower is an independent nonprofit improving the quality of our state’s environment through a program that connects consumers with green energy and carbon offset providers. Donations are used to subsidize the additional costs of new and innovative projects. Supporting alternative projects, such as wind power and animal waste methane capture, initially cost more upfront than traditional projects. When you donate to NC GreenPower, you are helping to support these cleaner, greener facilities. And while green power may not be going to the individual contributor’s home, renewable energy projects add their electrons to North Carolina’s power supply for the benefit of all North Carolinians. Carbon offset projects provide a cleaner atmosphere for surrounding areas.
How can I contribute?
NC GreenPower is supported entirely by voluntary contributions from citizens and businesses across the state. Contributions to renewable energy and carbon offsets can be given to NC GreenPower through your PWC bill. These contributions are then passed along in their entirety to NC GreenPower. By offering anyone the ability to support a cleaner future for North Carolina for as little as $4 a month, we bridge the gap between those who are unable to develop their own projects with those who need additional financial support through this incentive program. You can enroll in NC GreenPower by calling PWC at (910) 483-1382.
- Once enrolled, NC GreenPower contributions will be itemized on your monthly bill and appear as an additional charge.
- PWC collects the NC GreenPower contributions on the customer’s behalf and passes them over in their entirety to NC GreenPower. PWC does not keep any of the money.
- Donations to the 501(c)(3) charity are tax deductible to the extent allowed by the law.
Customers may also make a one-time contribution to NC GreenPower – instead of monthly contributions. A one-time donation can be sent to NC GreenPower, 909 Capability Drive, Suite 2100, Raleigh, NC 27606 or make a payment online at www.ncgreenpower.org.
How does it work?
Renewable energy funds are used to pay approved generators across the state for the RECs from each kilowatt hour of green energy they produce and put onto the electric grid from their project. Carbon offset contributions are used to pay carbon mitigation projects for every pound of greenhouse gas that is destroyed from their project. Funds support local projects and help create N.C. jobs.
NC GreenPower has launched two new pilot programs, as of April 1, 2015. One of the pilots will change how your renewable energy donation is used. To learn more about these pilots and how your donation will be used to support them, visit www.ncgreenpower.org.
What are the benefits?
- Over the course of a year, a monthly $4 donation will offset 12,000 lbs. of greenhouse gases – that’s the approximate emissions of the average car traveling 15,000 miles! And it’s the environmental equivalent of planting 923 trees!
- For each $4 Carbon Offset block subsidized by a customer, NC GreenPower pays a premium to a project owner or developer in the NC/SC/VA regional area that is mitigating greenhouse gases through a project such as: methane gas capture from animal waste or a landfill; reforestation or avoiding deforestation.
- For every $4 donated, 1,000 pounds of carbon dioxide or carbon dioxide equivalent emissions are mitigated.
To learn more about NC GreenPower, visit www.ncgreenpower.org.