Reduce Demand Tips
To help lessen energy demand on the power grid during the extreme cold expected Monday and reduce the potential for isolated power outages, PWC ask customers to do the following:
- Reduce your thermostat to the lowest comfortable setting when home, and bump the thermostat down a degree or two when leaving home.
- Turn off unnecessary lighting.
- Postpone household chores that require electrical appliances.
- Unplug cellphone / tablet chargers. These devices draw energy even when not in use.
- Operate ceiling fans in a clockwise direction, which pushes warm air back down into the room.
- Leave your drapes or blinds open to allow the sun’s rays to warm the house.
The low temperatures will put higher stress on mechanical equipment used to generate and deliver electricity. Isolated equipment problems are possible, which could result in scattered outages.
If you lose power, please turn off as many appliances and electronics as possible. This will help with restoration efforts as it will reduce the immediate demand on the power lines when power is restored. Once your power is restored, wait a few minutes before turning your equipment back on. PWC Customers should call 1-877-OUR-PWC1 to report power outages.