Commercial Irrigation

1.  Apply for a water tap. Customer Programs or Customer Service should be contacted first at (910) 223-4600 or (910) 483-1382. After applying for the water service, the receipt for application may be taken to the appropriate plumbing inspections department: City of Fayetteville, Cumberland County or the Town of Hope Mills Plumbing.

2. Obtain a Plumbing Permit. According to the North Carolina Plumbing code, you must be a certified plumber or licensed contractor to get a plumbing permit; All work completed by an individual must be done in accordance with code and shall be inspected. The plumbing permit will be processed by the City of Fayetteville, Cumberland County, or the Town of Hope Mills Plumbing Inspections Office, depending on the customers site address (the address where the tap is to be made).

3. PWC makes the Water Tap. Approximately four to six weeks (usually within 30 days) after the tap order has been processed. PWC will install the service. If possible, PWC will install the domestic, and or lawn irrigation meter box’s adjacent. * NOTE: WATER METER IS NOT INSTALLED AT THIS TIME. *

4. Purchase and install a Backflow Prevention Assembly. While the customer is waiting on PWC to make the tap, the backflow prevention assembly can be purchased and installed. The customer has the option of installing the backflow prevention assembly before or after PWC makes the tap. It is advised to wait until after PWC makes the tap. Be advised that PWC’s Environmental System Protection / Cross Connection Control office has specific installation specifications for the backflow prevention assemblies. You can obtain a copy of the specifications by contacting PWC’s Environmental System Protection /Cross Connection Control Department at (910) 223-4754.

5. Questions regarding backflow assemblies and specifications should be addressed to PWC’s Environmental System Protection / Cross Connection Control Department at (910) 223-4754. An approved Reduced Pressure Principle Assembly shall be required to protect all lawn irrigation services. PWC will provide an information packet of approved backflow assemblies, detailed installation specifications, and a list of companies who employ certified backflow prevention assembly testers. The cost, installation, test and repairs of the backflow prevention assembly are the responsibility of the customer. PWC will not be responsible for conducting annual testing of commercial backflow prevention assemblies, or any repairs that are deemed necessary by PWC. At the customer’s expense, a certified tester must perform all repairs and subsequent retesting.

6. Have the installation of the backflow prevention assembly inspected. The customer or plumber will need to call the Plumbing Inspections Office (the office where the plumbing permit was obtained): City of Fayetteville (910) 433-1707, Cumberland County (910) 321-6636, or Town of Hope Mills (910) 424-4555 to tell them that the backflow prevention assembly has been installed and it needs to be inspected. The plumbing inspector will come out to inspect the installation and then the inspector will call PWC to let them know they can set the meter.

7. PWC installs the water meter and turns the service on.

8. Have the backflow prevention assembly tested (Certification Test). The City of Fayetteville’s Cross Connection Ordinance S2003-001 (Section 28-239) Installation of Assemblies, states that following the installation, all backflow prevention assemblies are required to be tested within ten (10) days. A certified backflow prevention assembly tester approved by PWC shall perform the Certification Test. A list of companies who employ certified testers is included in your information packet. A customer who fails to have an assembly tested within the time prescribed above, shall be considered in violation of the City of Fayetteville’s Cross Connection Control Ordinance (section 28-239 Enforcement), and may be disconnected from the water system and or be issued a civil citation by the Public Works Commission.