Frequently Asked Questions – Environmental

What is a watershed?
A watershed is a region in which all land drains to a particular body of water or common point. It could be as small as your backyard or as large as any major river basin.  To learn more about PWC’s watershed protection program, click here.

Can I fish in lakes on PWC property?
PWC owns and manages 4 lakes in the Little Cross Creek Watershed. Fishing is only allowed with restrictions on Glenville Lake. Fishing is only allowed from a pier at Mazerick Park (910-433-1547).  Fishing from the bank is not allowed.  The restrictions are in place for several reasons.  The PWC owned lakes are a vital source of drinking water for our community. It is necessary to restrict access for security reasons as well as to ensure good water quality.  The lakes and surrounding woodlands are environmentally sensitive areas that must be kept free of human disturbance. The woodland and riparian vegetation along the shoreline of the lakes act as a filtering buffer for pollution. Fishing from the bank disturbs this buffer and degrades water quality.

Does PWC offer recycle bins?
PWC does not offer recycling bins, but the City of Fayetteville does for residents who live inside the city limits. To learn more, click here. The County also offers recycling sites at various locations around Cumberland County. To learn more, click here.

Who do I contact for storm drains?
Contact the City of Fayetteville’s Stormwater Division regarding storm drains. Call (910) 433-1613 or click here for more information.

Who do I call to pick up garbage?
The City of Fayetteville is responsible for picking up trash inside the city limits. Click here for more details, or call their Customer Service Department at (910) 433-1FAY.

Who do I call if I have questions about my drinking water?
Any specific questions or concerns that you may have regarding your drinking water may be directed to the PWC Laboratory at (910) 223-4705.

How do I get my water tested?
PWC water customers may contact PWC’s Customer Service Department at (910) 483-1382 to request water testing.

Does PWC offer solar panels?  Where can I get information to sell renewable energy to PWC?
PWC does not offer solar panels, but will assist customers if they decide to install a panel and are interested in selling the power to us. For more information, click here.  You can also participate in our new Community Solar program that will be available for subscription in early 2019.