APPA’s RP3 Award
In 2019, the American Public Power Association (APPA) again recognized PWC as a Diamond Level Reliable Public Power Provider (RP3) for the 5th time. The award recognizes APPA member utilities that achieve excellence in the areas of reliability, safety, training, and system improvement. Here are a few highlights from these categories that helped PWC achieve this recognition:
- Use service reliability indices to maintain and improve operations
- Maintain a Utility Disaster Plan
- Maintain a cybersecurity policy and security awareness training
- Maintain records of all electric assets and inspection schedules
- Evaluate long-term infrastructure needs and use a formal Capital Improvement Plan
- Conduct regular safety meetings and training initiatives
- Use workforce development tools such as succession planning, cross training, shadowing, leadership development, recruitment/retention, etc.
- Participate in Mutual Aid Program
- Actively engaged in the community through various volunteer activities
- Active member of the APPA Research and Development (DEED) Program
The goal of the RP3 award is to recognize those leading utilities that demonstrate sound business practices and recognized industry best practices. The APPA is the national organization representing more than 2,000 not-for-profit, community- and state- owned electric utilities.
During its first year of eligibility in 2007, PWC was awarded its first RP3 award and has received the Diamond Level designation each time it has applied. PWC is one of just 3 Public Power utilities in the country to earn Diamond Level, the highest level, five or more times.