Residential Irrigation

1. Apply for a water tap (lawn irrigation service). The existing service must be inspected to determine if the lateral can be split or if a new tap needs to be made. Split taps can only be made if the existing service lateral is either 1″ plastic or 1″ copper pipe and not in a paved driveway, walkway or other areas deemed unsuitable by PWC. If a split tap cannot be made, a new lateral will need to be installed. As construction costs vary based on installation requirements, please contact PWC’s Customer Service Department at (910) 483-1382 or Customers Programs at (910) 223-4600 to initiate a quote. After PWC determines how the service is to be provided, the customer will be notified in writing. A packet containing information about backflow prevention assemblies and requirements will be included. The customer can make application for the water service at the PWC Customer Service office or Customer Programs located at 955 Old Wilmington Road. Note: PWC does not have the ability to process credit cards for payment of tap fees. After applying for the water service, the receipt for application may be taken to the appropriate plumbing inspections department: City of Fayetteville, Cumberland County or the Town of Hope Mills Plumbing Inspections Department to obtain the required plumbing permit. Please note that all quotes will be valid for only thirty days (30) from the date of approval signature.

2. Questions regarding backflow assemblies and specifications should be addressed to PWC’s System Protection at 223-4704. An approved Reduced Pressure Principle Assembly shall be required to protect all lawn irrigation services. PWC will provide an information packet of approved backflow assemblies, detailed installation specifications, a list of plumbing suppliers who sell approved backflow prevention assemblies, and a list of companies who employ certified backflow prevention assembly testers. The cost, installation, initial test and repairs of the backflow prevention assembly are the responsibility of the customer. PWC will be responsible for conducting bi-annual re-testing of residential backflow prevention assemblies. Any repairs that are deemed necessary will be outlined, in writing, by PWC. At the customer’s expense, a certified tester must perform all repairs and subsequent retesting.

3. Obtain a Plumbing Permit. According to the North Carolina Plumbing code, you must be a certified plumber or licensed contractor to get a plumbing permit; however, residential customers who install their own backflow prevention assembly and (if applicable) irrigation system, shall be responsible for obtaining the permit. All work completed by an individual must be done in accordance with code and shall be inspected. The plumbing permit will be processed by the City of Fayetteville, Cumberland County, or the Town of Hope Mills Plumbing Inspections Office, depending on the customer’s site address, (the address where the tap is to be made).

4. Purchase and install a Backflow Prevention Assembly. While the customer is waiting on PWC to make the irrigation tap, the backflow prevention assembly can be purchased and installed. If it is not known where to purchase a backflow prevention assembly, the PWC’s Cross Connection Control Office may be contacted to obtain a list of local suppliers. The customer has the option of installing the backflow prevention assembly before or waiting until PWC makes the tap. It is advised to wait until after PWC makes the tap. Be aware that the PWC’s System Protection office has specific installation specifications for the backflow prevention assemblies. You can obtain a copy of the specifications by contacting PWC’s System Protection Section at 223-4704.

5. PWC makes the Water Tap. Approximately four to six weeks (usually within 30 days) after the tap order has been processed. PWC will install the service. If possible, PWC will install the irrigation meter box adjacent to your existing meter box. *NOTE: WATER METER IS NOT INSTALLED AT THIS TIME.*

6. Have the installation of the backflow prevention assembly inspected. The customer or plumber will need to call the Plumbing Inspections Office (the office where the plumbing permit was obtained): (City of Fayetteville 433-1707, Cumberland County 321-6636 or Town of Hope Mills 424-4555) to tell them that the backflow prevention assembly has been installed and it needs to be inspected. The plumbing inspector will come out to inspect the installation and then the inspector will call PWC to let them know they can set the meter.

7. PWC installs the water meter and turns the service on.

8. Have the backflow prevention assembly tested (Certification Test). The City of Fayetteville’s Cross Connection Ordinance S1995-016 (Section 28-237) Installation of Assemblies, states that following the installation, all backflow prevention assemblies are required to be tested within ten (10) days. A certified backflow prevention assembly tester approved by PWC shall perform the Certification Test. A list of companies who employ certified testers is included in your information packet. A customer who fails to have an assembly tested within the time prescribed above, shall be considered in violation of the City of Fayetteville’s Cross Connection Control Ordinance (section 28-242 Enforcement), and may be issued a civil citation by the Public Works Commission.