Building Community Connections For Over A Century
The Fayetteville Public Works Commission was created on March 4, 1905, through an act of the North Carolina Legislature to manage, operate and supervise the electric, water and wastewater utilities in the City of Fayetteville. That legislation was incorporated into the Charter of the City of Fayetteville and has had several legislative modifications throughout the years.
On June 29, 2016 the North Carolina Legislature repealed the portion of the City of Fayetteville Charter that specifically and exclusively dealt with PWC and replaced it with an updated version that more clearly defined the roles and responsibilities of the Commission and the City of Fayetteville in the operation of the electric, water and wastewater utilities. Most notably, the Legislature defined PWC as a Public Authority under North Carolina law and is subject to the applicable state statutes that govern Public Authorities.
The Commission consists of four members, appointed by Fayetteville’s City Council, to each serve a four-year staggered term. The Commissioners elect a Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary, and Treasurer; they meet on the second and fourth Wednesdays of each month.
Since its inception, PWC’s operations have been located in the heart of Fayetteville. The site of the old City Hall on Green Street was leased in October 1914, for the purpose of erecting an office and an electrical substation for the Public Works Commission. The substation became overloaded during the 1930’s and was relocated to Williams Street. The office facilities also became inadequate for the increased work of the Commission, and a City Hall was erected on the site during 1941. A separate Public Works Commission Administration Building was completed in February 1966, at 508 Person Street.
In 1987-1988, PWC purchased a 65-acre tract of land and began developing a centralized PWC Complex in order to consolidate all operating and administrative functions. This centralization of non-plant facilities lends itself to efficiency and effectiveness which extends to manpower requirements, equipment utilization, materials management, information flow, customer service, security, and control of operations.
Facilities at the PWC Complex include the Operations Center, Administrative Building, Customer Payment Center, Fleet Management, Warehouse and Storage Yard, Electric Meter Shop, Apparatus Repair Shop, Water Meter Shop, Utility Field Services, Water/Wastewater Facilities Maintenance, Vehicle/Small Equipment Storage Sheds, and Electronic Fuel Islands.
In August 2000, PWC opened its Customer Service Center in the Robert C. Williams Business Center in downtown Fayetteville. Customer Service moved to the Operations Complex in November 2009 when PWC’s LEED-certified Customer Service Center opened.
Through the foresight of Fayetteville’s forefathers, the citizens of Fayetteville have, in their Public Works Commission, a significant community asset with a proud history. PWC has kept up with demands for electric, water, and sanitary sewer utilities to serve the rapidly growing city and surrounding urbanized areas. Water and sanitary sewer rates are comparable to other major cities in North Carolina, while electric rates are extremely competitive.
Over 600 employees benefit from jobs provided to local residents. The employees, in turn, work diligently to serve the needs of their families, friends, and fellow ratepayers.