Frequently Asked Questions – Electric Service

Are trees trimmed for area light illumination?
No, this is the responsibility of the landowner.

Are trees / limbs trimmed on the secondary (service drop) lines that run from the street to the customer’s house?
No – these lines are usually insulated and they do not require maintenance unless a limb is putting substantial pressure on the line and rubbing the insulation off the wire. Secondary (service drop) lines are accessed and maintained during routine maintenance on a 3 to 5 year rotation.

If I need my secondary (service drop) line temporarily disconnected for tree / limb removal, what procedures do I need to follow?
Contact Customer Service at (910) 483-1382, between the hours of 8:00 am and 5:00 pm. This requires a 24-hour notice.

What procedures do I need to follow before I do any underground digging?
Call NC811 at 8-1-1 or 1-800-632-4949 before you start any digging project. State law requires a 48-hour notice.

What’s the difference between an area light and a street light?
Area lighting is used to light private areas such as backyards, playgrounds, storage yards and general customer areas. These lights are installed as requested by a customer for a monthly fee. Street lighting is used primarily to illuminate the city’s public thoroughfares and residential streets. However, street lighting is also available on private streets at an additional monthly cost to residents.

Who do I call if my streetlight or area light is not working properly? 
To request maintenance of street lights and area lights, or to report an outage, please contact Customer Service (910) 483-1382 or submit a request form.

Who do I call to have a streetlight installed?
You may call (910) 483-1382 to find out about having a streetlight installed.

What is the cost of installing an area light on my property?
Please call Customer Service at (910) 483-1382 to schedule an appointment and get information on the monthly rates for an area light.

Who do I call when I have a problem with power outages, downed power lines or poles, power fluctuations, and voltage concerns?
Please call Customer Service at (910) 483-1382, 7:00 am-8:00 pm Monday-Friday. For 24 hour emergency service, please call (910) 483-1382.

What’s involved in Power Restoration?
Click here to learn about our restoration plan.

Who do I call if I am experiencing television or radio interference?
Please call Electrical Engineering at (910) 223-4514.

What is the cost to convert my electrical service from overhead to underground?
In most circumstances, it is $1,000, plus excess construction. Please call Customer Service at (910) 483-1382 to schedule an appointment.

Who do I call to find out when construction is scheduled for my work order? 
You may contact (910) 483-1382 and ask any customer service representative.

How close can I place my sign to an electrical line?
PWC typically requires a sign to be at least 15 feet from the center of the pole line.

How close can I plant my shrub to a transformer?
You should plant 3 feet from the sides of transformer and 9 feet from the front of the transformer.

Who do I contact if I experience lightning strike problems?
Although PWC does not provide lightning protection inside a customer’s home, customers can install their own lightning protection by purchasing surge protectors from any electrical supply store. Please call the Electrical Engineering Department at (910) 223- 4514 for advice on the selection and placement of surge protection.

Can I attach signs / posters to electrical poles?

How do I request temporary electric service?
Temporary service is a non-permanent electric service. Temporary service may be established during the development of a property prior to permanent service installation or when electric service is intended for short-term use only.  Here some FYIs about requesting a temporary service:

  • To request temporary electric services, please contact the Customer Programs Call Center (910) 223-4600.
  • Temporary service is typically placed as close to PWC facilities as possible. PWC staff can provide guidance on the best place to set up the temporary service for your property. Please contact the Customer Programs Call Center to request assistance (910) 223-4600.
  • A one-time set-up charge will apply if temporary service is used while permanent services are being constructed. Please see PWC’s Service Regulations & Charges.
  • If you need PWC to construct facilities for temporary service that will not be required for permanent service, you must pay the actual cost of installation and subsequent removal of PWC facilities not required for permanent service. Please contact the Customer Programs Call Center for a quote (910) 223-4600.
  • Temporary service is billed monthly under a nonresidential rate, even if utilities will be delivered to or used by the Premises on PWC’s residential rate schedule when the construction is complete. Please see PWC’s Commercial and Industrial Electric Rates.

Who do I call about moving a house or building?
Please complete a moving application with the City of Fayetteville or Cumberland County Inspections Department.  Then bring that application to PWC’s Electrical Engineering Department for approval. You may contact Electrical Engineering at (910) 223-4514.

Who do I call if I am demolishing a building and need electrical services removed?
Please complete a demolition permit with the City of Fayetteville or Cumberland County Inspections Department.  Then bring or fax the demolition permit to PWC’s Electric Construction Department. You may contact Electric Construction at (910) 223-4500.

Who do I call if I need a pole relocated?
Please contact Customer Service at (910) 483-1382.

Are meter bases and service poles supplied by PWC?
Service poles are not supplied by PWC. PWC stopped issuing meter bases for services 400 amps or below after Dec. 31, 2004; however, PWC does issue meter bases for services above 400 amps. Please bring a copy of your electrical permit to the PWC Warehouse (1097 Public Works Drive) to get the meter base. After installation of the meter base by an electrician, the homeowner is then responsible for all components of the electrical system, with the exception of the service wire at the point of connection.