Heat Pump (HVAC) Cold Weather Tips
Proper maintenance is key to efficient operation for all heating and cooling systems. The difference between the energy consumption of a well-maintained heat pump and a severely neglected one ranges from 10% to 25%.
- Clean or change filters once a month or as needed.
- Maintain the system according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Dirty filters, coils, and fans reduce airflow through the system. Reduced airflow decreases system performance and can damage your system’s compressor.
- Clean outdoor coils whenever they appear dirty.
- Occasionally, turn off power to the fan and clean it
- Remove vegetation and clutter from around the outdoor unit.
- Clean the supply and return registers in your home, and straighten their fins if bent.
- You should also have a professional technician service your heat pump at least every year.